CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, July 4, 2009

FREEDOM


We enjoyed a special day today. It got off to a rough start, though, with me getting sick in Target. I'm not sure why all of a sudden the last 2 weeks have been so rough as far as getting sick. Perhaps a build up of the chemo in my system. But I do know, nothing clears out a public restroom faster than a person sick from chemo. Hmmm. Maybe I'll try that the next time the line in the ladies room is forever long :)

We went to Eric and Katie's in the afternoon to celebrate this special holiday with family. Independence Day. In America, it is a day when we celebrate the birth of our country and give thanks for our freedoms. I saw a bumper sticker once that said "Freedom isn't free." How true that is. Someone had to pay the price for our freedom. On this holiday, we pause to remember those who have given their lives for the freedoms we enjoy. We also say thanks to those who are putting their lives on the line by serving our country now.

But, I also celebrate another freedom. This day and every day. One that is more important to me than any other freedom I enjoy. That is my freedom in Christ. This freedom isn't free either. It came with a price. God could not have a relationship with us when we were filled with sin and bound to the laws. But, Jesus gave his life so we could be free from the bondage of laws and sin and death. "Because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." (Romans 8:2 NIV)
Because I am free, I can enjoy a personal relationship with him that enables me to get through the trials of this life. And that freedom promises me, that when this life is over, I will spend eternity with Him!

As an American I say "thank you" to all those men and women who have given of themselves to make this great country free.

As a christian I say "thank you" to my Lord for giving His life so that I can walk hand in hand with Him on this journey.

2 comments:

  1. There is incredible freedom in Christ. We're privileged in this country to worship Christ as Lord. But when I read about countries where admitting to being a Christian can cause you to be put in jail or to death, I am awed at the faith of these believers. We are so fortunate in this country. We should be in prayer for those less fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roxanne it's likely a build up of chemo in your system. I hope the worst is over for you as it is for me.

    As the days go by, things will improve ... that I know for sure.

    All the best to you,
    Daria

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free To Share Your Thoughts!