CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

TRUST

As I was driving home from radiation today, the car radio was on a show called "Doctor Radio". It is a satellite station and various types of doctors from New York University have shows dealing with their specialty areas. They pick a topic to discuss, and then callers can call in and ask questions. Today's show was on oncology and there were two oncologists talking about the doctor - patient relationship. One of the doctors made a statement that really struck a chord in me. She said, "The relationship that a cancer patient has with the oncologist, especially when the stakes are high, is an intimate relationship. The patient is placing his life in the physician's hands and therefore it must be one of complete trust."

My first thought was of my relationship with my own oncologist. I have said several times how impressed I am with him. He is an extremely intelligent man. He trains the fellows at MD Anderson cancer center and therefore must be up to date with all the latest studies and trials. He is honest. (Sometimes more honest than I would like). He is kind and gentle. And I trust that he will make the medical decisions that will best influence my care.

But as much as I like my doctor, my ultimate trust is not in him. "Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." (Psalms 146:3)
My life is not held in his hands. My intimate relationship is with my Lord and Saviour. The almighty God, who is the great physician, the great healer. In Him I place my life and my trust.

I am thankful that God has placed me in the hands of a caring and competent medical team. I know that He hand picked each and every one. I am grateful for an excellent cancer center so close to home. For insurance that meets my medical needs. For medicines and machines that help to fight this vicious disease. But it is not in these things that I place my trust.

" But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, "You are my God." (Psalms 31:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free To Share Your Thoughts!